Globe Family Women Network Infrastructure Environment Employment Democracy Agriculture food security Water Sexual reproductive rights Peaceful inclusive societies Migration development Education science Energy Gender equality Environmental climate Health Including economic development Human rights

Guidelines for research partners

The guidelines for partners detail how Sida's research cooperation is set up from application to evaluation.

Guidelines for national research systems

Higher education and research are important for poverty reduction and sustainable development. A nation's successful global participation and economic sustainability depend on the capacity to create, adopt, adapt, and apply knowledge.

Sida supports research capacity building mainly through bilateral cooperation between selected partner countries and Sweden. There are currently ongoing programmes in Bolivia, Cambodia, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda.

Sida has developed guidelines for national research systems, that also refer to documents in the Research Training Partnership Programme (RTPP). Please note that only invited organisations may apply, and the exact format to use will be specified in the invitation.

Swedish universities participating in RTPP projects need to perform an annual audit, usually referring to Sida's Terms of Reference.

Guidelines for research organisations

Sida's research cooperation with regional and international research organisations is expected to contribute to strengthened research of high quality and of relevance to poverty reduction and sustainable development.

Please note that only invited organisations may apply, and the exact format to use will be specified in the invitation.

Guidelines for results-based management

Sida's research cooperation is evaluated through a results-based system – starting with planning following through application, annual reporting, monitoring all the way to the final evaluation of the project.

PhD students and postdocs

This information is intended for PhD students and postdocs who are part of Sida-funded bilateral research cooperation programmes.

How to obtain your residence permit

The first time you travel to Sweden it is important that you start the process about 3 months before your planned travel. There are several steps to be taken, and it is important to allow time for each step. Please note that you need to contact the International Science Programme (ISP) before applying for residency permits in order to get all necessary documents.

Detailed information is found on the ISP and Migration Office websites.

Regarding subsistence allowances

Swedish universities follow the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance, which defines the conditions for PhD students. Sida has developed a document (in Swedish) interpreting the Ordinance in the part regarding the Sida-funded PhD-students. In brief, the subsistence allowances financed by Sida are not stipends and therefore exempt from the regulations regarding employment and stipend monetary level.

Updated: May 31, 2021