Adao Joao Paia i Moçambique

Photo: Kate Thomas

get involved

Working at Sida

Updated: 29 December 2014

If you are interested in working with development work you can apply to a number of different potential employers, such as Sida, the Swedish Foreign Ministry, the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise, trade union organisations and non-governmental associations and organisations.


To work at Sida and the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs you generally need to have completed academic studies and have several years’ work experience. Sida and the Swedish Foreign Ministry also recruit staff through multilateral organisations such as the UN, the World Bank and the EU.

Many Swedish non-governmental organisations recruit and employ staff from different professions such as teachers and healthcare staff to work as volunteers in developing countries. Swedish companies also participate in different ways in international development work.

Most positions require good knowledge of Swedish (written and spoken), and also Swedish citizenship or a residence permit.


There are many courses that are focused on development work and international development issues. The Swedish Folk High School Information Service can provide information about institutions with a focus on international issues.

Sida cooperates with universities and other higher education institutes via the Minor Field Studies scholarship programme. This programme provides students with the opportunity to conduct field studies in a developing country as the basis for exam work or a dissertation at advanced or research level.

Youth volunteers

Both Swedish and foreign organisations offer volunteer work for young people. These include organisations like Internationella Arbetslag  (the Swedish branch of Service Civil International), Individuell Människohjälp (a Swedish aid organisation) and AFS Intercultural Programmes. These programmes are open to everyone.

Page owner: HR Management Unit

  • tip a friend
  • share
Tip a Friend heading